Helpful safety tips for new homeowners in New Orleans
If you purchased your first home or you’re approaching the date to close, congratulations! It’s an exciting time for you and yours. You might be considering all the ways you should customize your house with furnishings, paint, and decor. But, before you go all-in on redecorating, make certain you consider home security as well. Keeping the ones you care about shielded from harm should always be a primary emphasis, and we’ll help you do so with our safety tips for new homeowners in New Orleans.
Complete a safety check of your new New Orleans property
Now that safety is at the forefront, see what your new home has in place. To begin, ensure you have functioning fire alarms. Inspect each one and replace batteries if needed. Are there CO detectors? Is there a water sensor in the cellar? This is also a smart time to replace door locks and check all window locks. Go through each room and scope out your new house.
Smart security tips for your New Orleans home
Once you’ve done your opening inspection of safety alarms and locks, you may think about improving your property’s defense. Get started with these security tips for your home in New Orleans.
- Opt for a modern home security system. One of the smartest things a new homeowner in New Orleans can do is integrate a home security system. Modern wireless technology lets you keep a close watch on your property even when you’re at the office or on vacation. You can view up-to-the-second video feeds, engage locking systems, and even communicate with visitors at your door straight from your cell phone. You can even personalize your defense with incredible security implements such as video surveillance and monitored fire alarms.
- Upgrade outdoor lighting. Outdoor lights with motion detection are a smart way to discourage potential intruders. You can even integrate them with video cameras. When a motion detector is tripped, it can instruct your outdoor camera to record.
- Keep your property neat. Do you have an unobstructed perspective of your property from the interior? Are there large bushes and trees impeeding the view? Get rid of potential areas to hide by keeping your yard neat and tidy. Your neighbors will appreciate it as well.
- Meet folks in your community. One more thing about your neighbors, get acquainted with them. If you are friendly with people around you, they’ll be more likely to let you know if they see suspicious activity. You can also connect to your neighborhood’s social media page if one is available.
- Take advantage of home automation. If you opt for an advanced smart home, you can make it look like you’re home by turning on smart lighting at scheduled moments. This is a nice tool when you’re away.